Sikkim Manipal University (SMU) is the result of a unique partnership between the Government of Sikkim and Manipal Education. Established in 1995, it is the first government-private initiative in the region. It was set up with the objective of providing the best in education for students.
SMU is recognised by the University Grants Commission and approved by the Government of India.
The beautiful campus is located in Majitar and Rangpo, amongst the picturesque settings of River Teesta and Kanchendzonga mountains. It hosts the second largest hospital in Sikkim, providing healthcare to the masses. The medical campus runs courses on medical, pharmacy, allied health and nursing while the technology campus has engineering, management courses, Twinning Programmes and Applied Sciences.
Sikkim Manipal University has the following constituent institutions:
Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences (SMIMS)
Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology (SMIT)
College of Nursing
College of Physiotherapy
School of Basic & Applied Sciences
As ranked by Competition Success Review - October 2009, Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology (SMIT) is ranked 8th amongst the Best University Engineering Colleges of India. SMIT Ranked amongst 17th in the Best Engineering Colleges of Excellence in India. SMIT has also bagged 27th rank amongst the Top 50 Engineering Colleges of India.
About Sikkim Manipal University's Distance Education (SMU-DE) Programme
The Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences, Gangtok is incorporated under the State Legislative Act (Act IX of 1995) of the Government of Sikkim.
- Sikkim Manipal University is recognised by University Grants Commission (UGC) is a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- Sikkim Manipal University, Directorate of Distance Education offers programmes spread across 9 disciplines
- Sikkim Manipal University - Directorate of Distance Education offers programmes in Masters, Bachelors, Diploma and PG Diploma levels in various disciplines like Information Technology, Management, Journalism and Mass Communication, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Apparel & Fashion Design, Allied Health Sciences, Hospitality, Telecom and Commerce
- The programmes are made accessible through 800+ University Authorised centres across the country
- So far over 4 lakh students have benefited from the Distance Education programmes, taking full advantage of the 65 core faculty members and the 6,800 committed and qualified mentors supporting faculty members present at the Authorised Centres
- Apart from the widespread presence in India – covering 205 districts and 310 towns and cities – the University has also spread its reach overseas across 20 countries, with 25 Authorised Centres